Saturday, September 10, 2011

Homemade Cork Board

So I saw a picture of project making a cork board from wine corks (probably on Michael's site, I'm dangerous in that store!) and decided to try it out.

I started out getting enough wine corks for the project from my mom (thanks mom!) and an 8x10 picture frame (just a cheap one).  I left it up to hubby to figure out how to make the picture frame into a shadow like box for me (he's so sweet) and then painted the whole thing black.

Plain Jane picture frame
Hubby cutting back from my frame :)

Modified Back of the picture frame (thanks hubby!)

Frame painted and waiting on corks
Before I actually did any gluing of the corks I layed out my design inside the frame first.  Since corks are not all the same size hubby had to cut some small pieces down for me to fit in on the sides.
Testing out the fit.
You'll see in the finished project I did end up change how some of the corks laid around the F, it looked better to me as I was gluing them in place (that or it was the glue high telling me it looked better!!!).  For the corks that made up the F, those were stood up straight and cut in approximately half so they were the same height as the corks laying down.
Hung with a ribbon in my new beading area (that's another post!)



No comments:

Post a Comment